Most people see the Kanken No. 2 as the smarter, more professional-looking sibling of the Kanken Classic.
What a lot of people don’t know is that it’s also an environmentally-conscious backpack.
What makes the Kanken No. 2 environmentally-conscious?
Apart from the leather detailing, the Kanken No. 2 is made from sustainable materials – chiefly Fjallraven’s own G-1000 HeavyDuty Eco fabric, which is comprised of recycled polyester and organic cotton.
The polyester is derived from several existing materials:
- Plastic PET bottles (PET stands for ‘polyethylene terephthalate’), i.e. the chosen form of plastic for many food-and-drink manufacturers.
- Unusable second-quality fabrics, which have been cast off for whatever reason.
- Fabric offcuts that would otherwise go to waste.
The reason Fjallraven is using this is simple: to avoid creating new raw materials when there are already plenty ready and waiting to be used.
Is G-1000 HeavyDuty Eco fabric as high-quality as regular G-1000?
Yes it is. Fjallraven is a brand that invests time, effort and money into doing things properly.
The fact it feels soft and smooth is not an indication of poor quality: the fabric has been engineered that way because it’s more pleasant for the user. G-1000 HeavyDuty Eco is just as strong as its predecessors.
Another bonus of this new iteration of the fabric is that it is wrinkle-resistant – keeping it looking fresh, which is perfect for the work environment.
Are any other materials used in the Kanken No. 2?
Yes, there are several materials at play, all chosen for functional reasons, while also happening to look the part.
- G-1000 HeavyDuty Eco – As already mentioned, this is used for the bag’s main body/exterior, and it is also used for the seat pad
- G-1000 Lite Eco – This is what the backpack’s inside back pocket is made from, for minimised weight
- Leather – The bag’s detailing, including the handles and fox logo patch, are made from leather due to its durability, with the added perk of ageing superbly, giving the bag more character as time goes by
- Metal – For the zips in the main compartment and the front pocket (obviously!)
Choose your Kanken No. 2 from our huge range
Ready to buy your new smart, eco-friendly Kanken? Shop our full range of No. 2 backpacks here, which includes the Classic size, the Mini size and the Laptop 15 size.